Monday, August 31, 2015

The Other Love Chapter

On Sunday, as I listened to my husband’s sermon on John 13, it spoke to me. I have to confess that I enjoy Tom’s sermons because he speaks to my heart.

Most people consider 1 Corinthians 13 to be the love chapter in the bible. Then I would have to say that John 13 is the other love chapter. 1 Corinthians describes love: Love patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 

I feel that John 13 demonstrates love through Jesus’ actions. This was his last night with his closest friends and what he did first was wash all their feet (even the feet of Judas who would betray him and Peter who would deny him). He didn’t kick them out or displayed anger. He loved them.

Jesus said in verses 34- 35: A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this, everyone will know that you are my disciples if you love one another. Jesus spoke to his disciples in a very profound way because in the Hebrew mindset to say “a new command I give you,” Jesus could have easily said Commandant #11.

This touched me. It’s better to love than to be right. How does it feel to be wrong? It feels like being right. When you discover your wrong is different because then you may feel embarrassed or sorry for your wrongness. Maturity is an ongoing process until the day I meet my maker. I learn things as I mature. I discover that I can be wrong and my opinions may change. So if being right comes at the price of love then the price is too high.

Sometimes God brings people in my life to help me practice love and sometimes He brings me into theirs to help them practice. I have a theory that can’t be proven and it’s my own opinion, but here it goes: I feel that if I can’t love someone here on earth that God will put us in the same section of heaven until eternity. So I try not to take any chances with people that annoy me. J

There was so much richness in Tom’s sermon on John 13 (give in three parts). Most of the above was inspired by his message. If you want to check it out, you can here

© Nadine and Tom Zawacki 2015

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Yep, that person just might be the one sitting across from me at the Marriage supper of the Lamb! So hard sometimes don't you think?

Nadine said...

Yes it's not an easy thing to do. I wish I could do it perfectly all the time.

Amber Quinn said...

I have been there too I have a lote of people that I have done wrong and said thing behind there back and would love too say sorry too them and I'm hoping they for give me